Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Petr Legát
    Participant

Discuss the societal pressures young people face regarding career choices based on gender. Share stories of overcoming these expectations, provide support, and explore strategies for encouraging students to pursue careers they are passionate about, regardless of gender norms.

I noticed that in Balkan countries, like in a lot of places anywhere else I guess, there are still some pretty rigid expectations about what men and women should do for work. Women are often expected to go into teaching or healthcare, while men are pushed towards engineering or business. But I think things are slowly changing—people are starting to challenge these stereotypes more.I’m just trying to choose a career based on what I love, not what’s expected from me as a guy, although some people from family wouldn’t agree. I dont know, maybe it’s pretty normal in western Europe nowadays.

Sebastian Mareska
    Participant

I get what you’re saying, and it’s pretty similar here in the Czech Republic too. We still have a lot of these gender expectations, though things are slowly shifting, especially among younger people. More girls are studying tech subjects now, and guys are starting to look at careers in areas like education. But there’s definitely still this pressure, especially from older generations, about what’s considered ‘normal’ work for men and women. I think Western Europe might be ahead in this, but we’re catching up, one step at a time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.